Project ProposaI & Moving Forward

project-proposal

Week 15 is dedicated to the temporary close out of this project for the semester. The majority of the work for this project will be done in senior robotics design in the spring semester. At this point, I am rather organized with my thoughts and have a general idea of what I would like to accomplish in the coming weeks before the spring semester starts. Over intercession, my goal is to create a solar collector circuit and test the solar cells and their ability to charge a battery. Once I am able to gain power from a battery, another circuit can be built in order to connect the LED to the battery. Once an understanding of photo voltaic solar linkage to an LED is grasped, then coding can begin. I plan to be at a point coming into the spring semester where I can start working on code to make the LEDs brighter upon sensing motion and to send messages when motion is detected and to also apply a full energy scale so that no LED beacons will ever be low on power.

Stay Tuned !

Week 13

Week 13 consisted of more project management concepts such like scope management. Also, project proposal components were given. In order for a successful project proposal, we must be able to describe the project, prove that you are the one to do the project, and be able to sell the project.

notebook

Week 12

Week 12 consisted of more research regarding voltaic silicon cells and the start of a parts list. Obtained ultra bright LEDs and three miniature solar collectors in class. Also a cut sheet for a potential active infrared sensor is provided.

active sensor

notebook

Week 11

This week I started to gather background information for my project. I need to decide between an active or passive infrared sensor. An active sensor is better for my project because active sensors will work in the dark and the time of day does not matter. This is crucial in my project because the majority of the sensing is to get readings of intruders during the nighttime versus the daytime. Along with that, I started to research solar collection and photo voltaic cells and how they can link to an LED.

notebook

Solar Cell

Week 10

Week 10 again consists of preliminary set up stages for the senior robotics project and deciding how to go about completion of the project and what the project will entail. The Solar LED Security System will send help when there is no light and also implement a power saving mode to extend LED lifetime. When motion is detected, an already dim LED will illuminate to a higher brightness.

notebook

Weeks 7-9

Weeks 7-9 consisted of project closeout for the Rough Terrain Robot project and to start thinking about the second project that we will be working on for the remainder of this semester and continuing to work on for the remainder of the year as our senior robotics project. The project that I have chose to work on is a Solar Powered LED Security System. The main aspect of this project is essentially a series of LED fixtures each with their own solar collector. The solar collector will collect solar energy during the day thus gathering enough energy  and power to light the LED during the nighttime. Once that is complete, active infrared sensors will be implemented to act as security sensors. When motion is detected, the LEDs light intensity will increase thus making an “intruder” more visible and sending a message to a security desk that someone is in the area. Also, if any LED fails, another message will be sent to notify someone to fix the problem.

project-questionnaire