Ethical Discussion

This page is dedicated on posts for the ethics portion of EE 454 Robotics and Professional Practice course at the University of Scranton.

Ethical Reaction:

In class we were given two different ethical scenarios which dealt with engineering and technology. We reviewed and examined the scenarios using the IEEE Code of Ethics. The review of the ethics gave an insight how what scenarios I could face when I graduate and get real world experience in the engineering. One take away from the review session was that there is no clear cut method of facing a dilemma. You have to use what understanding you have from ethics and apply that to the scenario. Also, the IEE Code of Ethics is supposed to be used a guideline to assist in the making a decision. The University of Scranton requires students to take at least two course in philosophy and ethics. Knowing the topics studied in these courses we are told to apply them in our decision making of whether something is ethical or not. However, there is a gap in at least my understanding of how ethics (from the philosophy stand point) applies to my role as engineer. Dr. Spalletta tried to bridge that gap and explain how we applies those topics from our courses to engineering from philosophers such as Aristotle, Socrates and Plato. He explained how we could apply the topics of the good and true happiness. He explained how those meanings have changed over the years and what it means in engineering. HE also explained how as scientists we let society decide what is right or wrong and that we just try and see if it can be done. If some scientific goal is possible we should try to do it if it follows the IEEE code of ethics. We then let society decide if it should be used or not (i.e. sending people to Mars). I definitely believe that a course such as ethics in engineering or technology would be an important and valuable course to offer students of the technology fields. It would give a better understanding of how to apply concepts from our philosophy courses to our engineering field. I feel more time should be spent on it then just a few hours in class. Overall, Dr. Spalletta did a good job on somewhat bridging the cap on between philosophy and engineering. There are just some points such as teachings of Plato that I remember from Ethics such as (The Perfect Friendship) and I just don’t see how those would apply. The discussion in class was helpful and should continue in the curriculum and I think a possibility of an ethics class aimed towards engineering would be extremely helpful.