Ricky Olechna

Ethics Reflection Paper

3/21/17

The two ethical dilemmas presented in class connected topics in ethics courses with engineering applications.  It is normally difficult to relate ancient philosophical ideas to modern day examples and point out their correlation. However, this discussion in class allowed for proper connection. I feel this connection is absolutely necessary for students and employees in the work force.

We see two types of ethics within our program, one from our philosophy requirements and the other related to our engineering classes. Although under the same topic of ethics, these two topics cover different applications and can be difficult to relate. The IEEE code of ethics creates a set of rules to follow in order to remain professional and out of trouble. Whereas the ethics from Aristotle and Plato focus on the morality of humans and how to achieve happiness. These two topics may seem different however when facing engineering difficulties the two overlap. The discussion in class allowed me to see that the IEEE code of ethics is simply a guideline in order to remain professional within the practice. Once this has been overcome, one can look at ones morality and bring in the more classical ideas from ethics to make important decisions. These decisions can have drastic impacts even as so far as the public’s welfare.

I wish to see more of this type of discussion within the class because I feel it is useful in the real work world.